The STB consists of a panel of experts, including lawyers, architects, and engineers. The STB’s role is to facilitate communication between parties, identify issues, explore options, and find a mutually acceptable settlement for the dispute.
The STB is not allowed to give any legal advice to any party. After STB has made its decision, an appeal can only be made to the High Court on a question of law.
Common disputes brought before the STB include but are not limited to:
- Inter-floor water leakages;
- Performance or failure by Management Corporation (MC) to perform certain duties under the BMSMA or by-laws;
- Applications to convene meetings or invalidate resolutions passed by the Management Corporation (MC);
- Matters involving alterations to common property;
- Applications to revoke or invalidate certain by-laws; and
- Supply of information by management corporation.
For more detailed information on the types of disputes heard by the STB and the corresponding fees involved, please see SMG9: Dispute Resolution - Common Disputes and Courses of Actions