Before Owning a Condo - What to Know

Info-pack for Subsidiary Proprietors (SPs):

What to Know as a Condo Owner

This info-pack serves as an introduction to your new role as an owner of a condominium unit i.e. a subsidiary proprietor (SP). It will help you gain a better understanding of your duties, responsibilities, rights and restrictions, and provide you with knowledge on how strata titled developments (e.g. condominiums) are managed under the regulatory framework. Whether you have purchased the condo unit as a place of residence or as an investment, it is important for you to understand these concepts as they may directly affect you as a unit owner.

Download the full PDF here



Your Roles and Responsibilities

Image of residents discussing

1.   Maintain the quality and value of your unit and estate

Being a unit owner (i.e. subsidiary proprietor ‘SP’), and thus part of the Management Corporation (MC) means that you have a duty to actively participate, and maintain the quality and value of your whole estate, not just your individual unit.

This is done by means of:

  • Attending general meetings and voting on resolutions;
  • Paying contributions; and
  • Considerate usage of your unit and common property.
Read more about this here

Image of residents discussing

2.   Complying with all by-laws

In addition to the Prescribed by-laws that every unit owner (i.e. subsidiary proprietor ‘SP’) and occupier are required to comply with, the Management Corporation (MC) can make by-laws that are not in conflict with the Prescribed by-laws or any laws in Singapore.

Did you know?

By-laws are voted on during general meetings. Even if you were not present to vote on the by-laws, you will be required to follow them once enacted by the Management Corporation (MC).
By-laws are enacted for the purpose of controlling and managing the use of common property, as well as your unit. By-laws are generally made in relation to safety and security, such as restricting the use of any common property, the keeping of pets, parking, garbage disposal, and may even restrict behaviour such as swimming or making of loud noises after a certain hour etc.

For a newly constituted Management Corporation (MC), the Management Corporation (MC) may consider converting house rules to by-laws at the first annual general meeting (AGM).

If you are concerned about the validity or appropriateness of the management corporation’s (MC’s) by-laws, you may raise it for discussion at the next general meeting or apply to the Strata Titles Board (STB) for a resolution. The Management Corporation (MC), any unit owner (i.e. subsidiary proprietor ‘SP’) or any occupier is also entitled to apply to the Strata Titles Boards (STB) or to court to enforce a by-law or restrain the breach of a by-law.

Image of residents discussing

3.   Maintain your unit

As a unit owner (i.e. subsidiary proprietor ‘SP’), it is your duty to maintain your unit, including fixtures such as external openable windows and pipes that are exclusively used by you.

If you fail to maintain these features of your unit and someone is injured or property is damaged because of these features, you can be made liable for compensation.

You may check with the Management Corporation (MC) or managing agent (MA) (if any) on the features that come under your charge and responsibility.

Image of residents discussing

4.   Notify the Management Corporation (MC) of any change in contact address or any transfer of property

You are required to inform the council secretary if there has been a change in your mailing address, to facilitate the Management Corporation’s (MC’s) correspondence with you.

Image of residents discussing

5.   Grant access to the Management Corporation (MC) to carry out maintenance or repair works

You are required to allow the Management Corporation (MC) and its agents at all reasonable times and on reasonable notice to enter your unit for maintenance of common property such as repainting and structural inspections of common areas etc.

Continue reading


This info-pack has been prepared by the Building and Construction Authority (“BCA”), and is not intended to be a legal interpretation of laws including the BMSM Act or legal advice. Potential condominium buyers should seek professional legal advice if they wish to better understand their legal rights and duties. The Commissioner of Buildings, BCA and any other agency shall not be liable for any reliance on any information contained in this info-pack by any person.

Related Information

  • CONQUAS and Quality Mark assess the construction quality of private residential projects, developers and builders. Find out more here.
  • Green buildings are more energy efficient and improve indoor environmental quality. Read on Green Buildings here.
  • Popular e-Services


    The Construction Workforce Registration System (CWRS) is an online portal for CoreTrade and Multi-skilling registration and the renewal of Direct R1 eligibility.

    Overseas Testing Management System

    OTMS allows you to register the workers for Identity Verification and to check your registration status online.

    Lifts and Escalators Application (LEAP) Portal

    Lift and escalator owners, contractors and Specialist Professional Engineers (SPEs) can apply for and view applications for Permit to Operate (PTO) here.