The inter-agency* Building Innovation Panel (BIP) assists firms in expediting evaluations and obtaining regulatory clearance to use innovative methods, processes, technologies and materials in their construction projects. Beyond raising productivity, these innovative solutions should improve Singapore’s built environment to meet our Construction Industry Transformation Map objectives.
* Agencies include BCA, LTA, MOM, NEA, PUB, SCDF, and URA. In addition, non-regulatory agencies, HDB and JTC, are included to provide user perspective during evaluation.
Submissions are evaluated based on:
- Level of innovation
- Impact on construction productivity of the materials, methods or processes
- Sustainable materials or technologies leading to environmentally friendly construction
Once the submission has been accepted, the BIP Secretariat will expedite resolution of outstanding issues between the applicant and respective authorities and agencies.
In Principle Acceptance (IPA) certificates
A certificate of In Principle Acceptances (IPA) will be granted to the innovative solutions (design, products, materials or processes) which have been accepted by the relevant authorities and agencies. The certificate also accords fast track status to subsequent regulatory submissions involving the use of the accepted innovative solutions.
List of innovative solutions have been granted In Principle Acceptance for use in Singapore projects:
^MET has been granted IPA as a construction material. It is not required to obtain separate IPA for MET systems using similar materials.
How to apply
To request assistance, submit the following to BIP:
- A set of completed application form
- Documentary evidence of compliance with codes of practice (Singapore or overseas)
- Track record of overseas implementation
- Material or product specifications
- Quality certifications or test reports by accredited laboratories
- Any other relevant information.
Please refer to the checklists below for the specific documentation required by individual government agencies.