Building Energy Benchmarking

Since 2014, BCA has published building energy benchmarks annually to monitor Singapore's building energy performance. Building owners have been required to submit building information and energy consumption data to BCA annually since 2013, which is then used to establish national building energy benchmarks. Check out the latest BCA Building Energy Benchmarking Report and Building Energy Performance Data through these links:

BCA has covered the following types of buildings in the Annual Mandatory Submission:

  • Commercial buildings comprising office buildings, hotels, retail buildings and mixed developments
  • Healthcare facilities
  • Educational institutions
  • Civic, community and cultural institutions
  • Sports and recreation centres

Note: Buildings with GFA ≥5,000 m² were targeted for submission.

Application and Significance of EUI in Building Energy Efficiency and Benchmarking

Electricity is the primary energy source used in buildings in Singapore, and energy use intensity (EUI) is the benchmarking metric used to measure building energy efficiency. EUI is calculated by dividing a building's total annual electricity consumption (in kWh) by its gross floor area (in m²) and allows for the comparison of a building's energy performance against similar building types.

EUI is influenced by both energy efficiency and consumption patterns, and building owners can assess their building's energy efficiency by comparing their EUI to the building energy benchmarks, which are updated annually to reflect newly added buildings and major renovations.


Related Information:

Popular e-Services


The Construction Workforce Registration System (CWRS) is an online portal for CoreTrade and Multi-skilling registration and the renewal of Direct R1 eligibility.

Overseas Testing Management System

OTMS allows you to register the workers for Identity Verification and to check your registration status online.

Lifts and Escalators Application (LEAP) Portal

Lift and escalator owners, contractors and Specialist Professional Engineers (SPEs) can apply for and view applications for Permit to Operate (PTO) here.