Regular checks and maintenance of your air-conditioning unit structural supporting system help to prevent dislodgement as they are exposed to weather elements, such as wind and rain. It is also important to inspect units fitted on the exteriors of buildings or units that projects out of a building to ensure that they remain safe and secure.
Maintenance of Air-conditioning Unit Structural Supporting System
As an owner, you must check your air-conditioning unit structural supporting system (e.g. stainless steel bracket, concrete ledge) regularly to ensure that they remain safe and secure. If an air-conditioning unit structural supporting system falls due to lack of maintenance, you may face a maximum fine of $10,000, and/or jail term of up to one year.
- Check your air-conditioning unit structural supporting system for signs of corrosion and wear and tear at least once every 6 months
- Get the trained air-conditioning unit installer to carry out a thorough inspection when you engage an air-conditioning servicing contractor to clean/maintain your air-conditioning unit
- Engage a trained air-conditioning unit installer to replace any bracket that is badly corroded with a new, stainless steel bracket
- Repair your concrete ledge or casing that holds the air-conditioning unit if it shows any signs of cracking or deterioration
- Ensure that the person undertaking air-conditioning retrofitting or installation works is a trained installer who has a identification pass and registered with BCA
Installation of Air-conditioning unit structural supporting system
If you are installing an air-conditioning unit on the exterior of any building or which projects outwards from any building, you will need to engage a trained air-conditioning unit installer to carry out installation work.
Failure to do so, owners can face a fine of up to $5,000 and/or jail term of up to 6 months or both.
Engage a trained air-conditioning unit installer
To check for Trained Air-conditioning Unit Installers, please submit your enquiry via our our Feedback Form.
Please select “Category: BCA Academy Course”, followed by “Sub Category: BCA Academy Courses” and submit the installer’s name and Pass Number.
If your air-conditioning unit is to be installed on the exterior of any building or which projects outwards from any building, it must be supported on a stainless steel bracket or concrete ledges/casings specifically designed to hold the air-conditioning units. Air-conditioning units that are located internally within your property are not subject to this requirement. However, you should check the condition of your bracket, ledge or casing regularly and get it repaired or replaced immediately if it has deteriorated.
Note: BCA does not have any requirement on the location at which the air-conditioning unit must be installed.
Other requirements on installation of air-conditioning unit tray
Please refer to NEA or HDB’s website for more details on installation of air-conditioning unit tray.
Do note that regular checks and maintenance of the tray system (including the method of securing) is necessary under the Building Maintenance and Strata Management Act. Premises owners should get it repaired or replaced immediately if it has deteriorated.
If you are an individual who wish to be a trained air conditioning unit installer, find information on how you can do so here