FAQ on Temporary Building

Temporary Buildings Requirements

1. What is a Temporary Building?

Definition of Temporary Buildings


(a) any building or structure not more than 2 storeys high constructed of short-lived materials;

Gantry, Tentage, Free-Standing Frame/Panel/Hoarding/Board, Pop-up Stores, Festive Decorations such as Christmas Tree, Entrance Arch.
The above is applicable in indoor and outdoor settings.

(b) any building or structure not more than 2 storeys high permitted to be used by the competent authority or Commissioner of Building Control for a period not exceeding 36 months, or such other period as may be prescribed (if prescribed) in the building regulations;

Shed, Offices, Container, Racking Platform
Temporary Indoor LED Screens, Temporary Indoor Advertisement Structures and their Supports

(c) any building used as workers’ quarters, a site office, a show-flat or show-house, a builder’s shed, store or other shed required in connection with any building works for a permanent building; or

Workers’ Quarters, Site Office, Show-Flat or Show-House, Builder’s Shed, Store or Other Shed within or outside a construction site

(d) any structure used only for the outdoor display of an advertisement or signboard.

Outdoor Signs and Advertisement, and their Supporting Structures

Building Control Act

2. Do I need to apply for a PTU to construct a temporary building?

A person who intends to erect any temporary buildings is required to obtain a PTU from Building & Construction Authority (BCA) before using / occupying it. However, there are exemptions to which some temporary buildings are not required to obtain a PTU.

3. Which legislation under the Building Control Act is the temporary building regulated under?

Building Control (Temporary Buildings) Regulations 2018

4. Can I be exempted from applying for a PTU?

The following temporary buildings do not require a PTU from BCA:

A. Any temporary building below 4 storey used as workers’ quarters, a site office, a builder’s shed, store or other shed that is required in connection with any building works for a permanent building;

B. Any protective hoarding, catch platform, fence, safety netting or other temporary structure, erected for the safety or convenience of persons in any public place or on any public road;

C. Any building works prescribed as insignificant building works in the First Schedule of the Building Control Regulations 2003

D. Any tentage meeting all 3 conditions below:

i. used not more than 60 days
ii. area does not exceed 2000 m2
iii. no span of any element exceeds 18 m

E. Any stage meeting both conditions below:

i. used for a duration not more than 7 days
ii. used for or in connection with the holding of any wedding, entertainment, funeral or religious ceremony

F. Any frame, panel, hoarding, board or other structure for:

i. in the case of a structure that is capable of standing on its own on the ground, a roof or any horizontal plane (whether or not it is affixed to the horizontal plane on one or more supports), where —

a. every part of the structure is less than 4 m from the horizontal plane on which that part of the structure stands; and

b. the side of the structure with the largest surface area does not exceed 10 m2 in area;

ii. and in any other case, where the side of the structure with the largest surface area does not exceed 10 m2 in area.

Please note that for temporary buildings falling within A or B, although there is no need to get a PTU, there are regulatory requirements under regulations 17, 18, 19 and 20 for compliance by the relevant project parties.

5. What are the requirements that I have to comply with before erecting and using the temporary building?

The temporary building must comply with the followings:

A. Building Control (Temporary Buildings) Regulations 2018

B. where applicable, the following relevant technical departments may have to be consulted for clearance:

i. Central Building Plan Unit (CBPU), Pollution Control Department of National Environment Agency

ii. Fire Safety & Shelter Department (FSSD)

iii. Land Transport Authority, Road & Transport (LTA-R&T)

iv. Land Transport Authority, Vehicle Parking (LTA-VP)

v. National Parks Board (NParks)

vi. Conservation & Urban Design Division, Urban Redevelopment Authority (CUDD, URA)

6. How much do I need to pay for the plan fee?

A. A fee of $200 for every 100 square metres, or part thereof, of the statistical gross floor area of the temporary building or buildings in the application; or

B. A fee of $200 for each structure in an application in which the temporary buildings or buildings have no meaningful or measurable statistical gross floor area;

C. For extension of Permit to Use, a fee of $200 for each structure in an application.

where “statistical gross floor area” means the aggregate of the floor areas of all the storeys, including basements, in all of the temporary buildings in the application.

Temporary Buildings Applications

1. What do I need to do to obtain the Permit to Use (PTU)?

The owner who intends to erect a temporary building must engage a professional civil or structural engineer to design, supervise, inspect the erection of the temporary building and submit the application for PTU on behalf of the owner via CORENET e-Submissions.

2. Is there a simplified process to obtain PTU for temporary building with previously approved design?

A simplified PTU submission and approval process is available for temporary buildings (e.g. containers, standardized or modularised structures used in events) with previously approved design. The owner (through his/her appointed Professional Engineer (PE)) will first need to have obtained an earlier approval from the Commissioner of Building Control for the design (plans and calculations) for their temporary buildings. For subsequent erection of temporary buildings using the same previously approved design, the same owner (through the same appointed PE) can apply for PTU based on the previously approved design, by citing the earlier approval reference number (without the need to resubmit plans and calculations in this subsequent PTU application). Once the submission is in order, a Preliminary Approval will be issued for the erection/installation of temporary buildings. The PE is still required to supervise the erection/installation and submit the relevant Certificates of Supervision to BCA prior to issuance of the PTU

3. What documents am I required to submit during the CORENET e-Submission?

An application for a PTU for the temporary building shall be accompanied by –

a. Where applicable, a copy of the written permission issued by the competent authority under the Planning Act (Cap. 232) in respect of the proposed temporary building;

b. A notification, signed by the temporary building owner, of the engagement of a professional engineer;

c. A location plan indicating the location of the temporary building;

d. Plans and Design of the individual structures for submission signed by the applicant and the Professional Engineer (PE) where applicable, with the standard temporary building endorsement by PE on the plan;

e. Design / Structural Calculations (PE Assessment);

f. Where the temporary building owner is not the owner of the premises on which the temporary building will be erected, written consent of the owner of the premises for the application to be made.

g. i. A fee of $200 for every 100 square metres, or part thereof, of the statistical gross floor area of the temporary building or buildings in the application;

ii. A fee of $200 for each structure in an application in which the temporary building or building have no meaningful or measureable statistical gross floor area;

Note: Item (a) is not applicable to all advertising structures; and any temporary building or buildings if the total periods of erection shall not exceed 90 days in a year.

Pertaining to items (d) and (e) for temporary buildings submitted under the simplified PTU approval process (based on a previously approved design), the PE would only need to cite the  earlier approval reference number.

4. When should I submit my application for a PTU? 

The application must reach BCA 3 weeks before the construction of the temporary building

5. When can I start to erect the temporary building?

Once the owner and professional engineer obtain the preliminary approval of the structural plans.

6. When will I be granted the PTU?

The owner must, no later than 7 days after completing building works of a temporary building, submit the following certificates of supervision, where applicable:

a. Professional Engineer’s certificate of supervision for the building works of the temporary building;
b. If applicable, Professional Electrical Engineer’s certificate of supervision of lightning protection system.

Upon receiving the certificates, the Commissioner of Building Control will process the application for a final approval, i.e. the PTU in reasonable time

7. What shall I do when the Preliminary Approval lapses or PTU expires or revoked?

The owner of the temporary building must demolish the temporary building within 14 days after the lapsing or revocation of the preliminary approval or expiry of revocation of the PTU and notify the CBC of the demolition within 7 days after the temporary building is demolished. It is an offence under the regulation 16 for failing to do so.

8. Can I extend the PTU upon its expiry?

An owner who is granted the PTU may, at any time before the expiry of the PTU, apply to the CBC for an extension of the permit and the extended use will be allowed at CBC’s discretion. Where the application to extend a PTU relates to a temporary building under paragraph (b) of the definition of “temporary building” in the Act, the PTU will not be extended such that the aggregate period of the PTU and all extensions of the PTU exceeds 72 months.

9. How can I pay for the plan fee?

Payment for the plan fee can be made via Nets/Visa/cheque over the counter at Level 6, BCA Service Centre. Cheques can be mailed to BCA HQ (52 Jurong Gateway Road #11-01, Singapore 608550) Please quote the E-submission Number correctly.

Alternatively, you may wish to make e-payment at the following link:

Popular e-Services


The Construction Workforce Registration System (CWRS) is an online portal for CoreTrade and Multi-skilling registration and the renewal of Direct R1 eligibility.

Overseas Testing Management System

OTMS allows you to register the workers for Identity Verification and to check your registration status online.

Lifts and Escalators Application (LEAP) Portal

Lift and escalator owners, contractors and Specialist Professional Engineers (SPEs) can apply for and view applications for Permit to Operate (PTO) here.