Launched in September 2016, the BCA-MOE Back to School (B2S) programme gives students in Institutes of Higher Learning (IHL) the opportunity to help their alma maters attain BCA Green Mark certification. This initiative aims to enhance student engagement and education in environmental sustainability and to groom the next generation of “green-collar” workforce.
The programme piloted with Temasek Polytechnic in 2015, but has since attracted over 60 “GREENterns” from 8 IHLs (as of 31 March 2019). Under the guidance of mentors from BCA and other industry firms, these aspiring green professionals have been deployed to over 90 schools to help with Green Mark certifications.
The innovative programme has since won accolades including the Gold Award at the 2017 APEC Energy Smart Communities Initiative (ESCI) Best Practices Awards and the Institution of Engineers Singapore (IES) Prestigious Engineering Achievement Awards 2017 (Special Award), which recognised GREENterns’ outstanding contribution to the green building sector and community.
Many schools have already achieved the Green Mark Gold award. Please see map below for more information.
Benefits for students
Participants in this internship programme can:
- Be exposed to sustainability and green building careers
- Have a platform to employ technical and management skills that they acquire in school and through B2S
- Be envoys of environmental sustainability to their peers and juniors
To help the schools to achieve Green Mark certification, the GREENtern will need to go through the following steps:
- Seek approval from school
- Conduct a gap analysis on the school’s building system and existing core curriculum framework
- Make recommendations and work with the school to implement strategies to achieve Green Mark certification
- Submit application and prepare documents for Green Mark assessment
Who can apply
The B2S programme has been extended to students in Built Environment (BE) related courses from the following participating IHLs.
- Nanyang Technological University
- National University of Singapore
- Ngee Ann Polytechnic
- Republic Polytechnic
- Singapore Institute of Technology
- Singapore Polytechnic
- Singapore University of Technology and Design
- Temasek Polytechnic
The following green-minded Built Environment firms have come onboard as industry mentors to guide students on the programme and share their working experiences.