As one of the key measures for Singapore to reduce our Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions, the National Environment Agency (NEA) intends to restrict the supply of water-cooled chillers using high-GWP (Global Warming Potential) refrigerants from the fourth quarter of 2022.
In line with the implementation of this measure, the NEA, Economic Development Board (EDB) and Building and Construction Authority (BCA) have launched three grants to cater to different sectoral needs. These grants will help encourage companies to make an early switch to water-cooled chillers using lower GWP refrigerants.
BCA will be administering the Grant for Low-GWP Refrigerant Chillers (LoGR) for existing buildings. The details of the grant are as follows:
To encourage owners and operators of existing buildings to adopt water-cooled chillers using refrigerants with low GWP early, before the ban on sales of water-cooled chillers using high-GWP hydrofluorocarbons (HFC) refrigerants takes effect in 2022. The grant will support part of the cost incurred for building owners and operators to switch to climate-friendly low-GWP refrigerant water-cooled chillers.
|Company eligibility criteria
The applicant must be a Singapore-registered owner or operator of existing buildings* located in Singapore
* similar to those regulated under the Building Control (Environmental Sustainability Measures for Existing Buildings) Regulations 2013 which excludes industrial buildings; transport facilities; religious buildings; data centres; utility buildings; and residential buildings, except for serviced apartments
|Project eligibility criteria
- Existing buildings with building cooling provision from water-cooled chillers with HFC refrigerants of GWP value higher than 15
- Funding only covers the new installation of water-cooled chillers using refrigerants with GWP value of 15 or lower, for the purpose of space cooling. Works also should not have commenced at the time of application
||Project must be completed within 36 months
Third-party endorsement by qualified personnel is required to certify that the chillers installed are as per approved design. The qualified personnel could be any of the following:-
- Professional Engineers (PEs) registered with the Professional Engineers Board (PEB) of Singapore under the field of Mechanical, Electrical and Chemical Engineering
- BCA-registered energy auditor
- Energy Efficiency Opportunities Assessor (EEO Assessor)
- Singapore Certified Energy Manager
For more details, please contact LoGR_Grant@bca.gov.sg.