The built environment sector is increasingly adopting the use of precast and prefabricated building components to improve construction productivity in Singapore.To build up the local supply of such components, a masterplan was formulated for the development of Integrated Construction and Prefabrication Hubs (ICPHs) with 30-year lease term.
ICPHs refer to multi-storey advanced manufacturing facilities, with a high degree of mechanisation and/or automation, which produce:
a. Prefabricated individual components e.g. precast columns, beams, staircases
b. Prefabricated integrated sub-assemblies e.g. Prefabricated Bathroom Units (PBUs), modular prefabricated Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing (MEP) systems and/or
c. Prefabricated Prefinished Volumetric Construction (PPVC) modules
- Improved productivity –Prefabricating components off-site results in manpower and time savings at the project level.
- Improved quality control –ICPHs are able to deliver high quality prefabricated components as production is carried out in a controlled factory environment.
- Minimise dis-amenities on site–Noise and dust generated on-site is significantly reduced as most of the construction work is brought off-site.
- Safer work environment and higher-skilled jobs –ICPHs automate most of the labour intensive construction work in a controlled factory environment. This creates a safer work environment, and allows workers to take on higher value added jobs. Skills in construction, manufacturing, logistics and information and communications technology will be sought after.
- Multiple uses for ICPHs –These hubs can also be used for related construction activities such as storage of formwork, construction equipment etc.
ICPHs awarded and details
BCA has to-date awarded five land tenders for the development of ICPHs through GeBIZ - the procurement portal for the Government, ministries and departments of Government and statutory boards at www.GeBiz.gov.sg. Information on past tenders is shown in the following table: