Builder Licensing

The Licensing of Builders Scheme is part of BCA’s long-term plan to upgrade the safety and quality of the construction sector while raising professionalism by requiring minimum standards of management, safety record and financial solvency.

Who needs a license

Builders who:

  • Are carrying out building works where plans are required to be approved by the Commissioner of Building Control.
  • Work in specialist areas, which have a high impact on public safety.

Note: The requirement applies to both public and private construction projects.

Types of license

License type


Allowable projects

General Builder License

Class 1

Projects of any value


Class 2

Projects of $6 million or less

Specialist Builder License


Any of the following specialist building works:

  • Piling works
  • Ground support and stabilisation works
  • Site investigation work
  • Structural steelwork
  • Pre-cast concrete work
  • In-situ post-tensioning work

Note: You may register in more than one category if qualified.

Licensing requirements

You must fulfil all of the following requirements to receive a Builder’s License.



Appoint an Approved Person (AP)

The AP will take charge and direct the management of the business in building works.

The AP must be:

  • The sole proprietor in a sole proprietorship
  • One of the partners in a partnership
  • A director, member of the board of management or an employee (being a person with similar duties and responsibilities of the aforementioned roles) in a corporation

The AP must also possess the right qualifications and experience.

Appoint a Technical Controller (TC)

The TC will oversee the execution and performance of any building works undertaken by the builder.

For specialist builders, the TC appointed must possess a civil or structural engineering degree from a recognised institution and have the right qualifications and experience.

Resident Engineers must meet the acceptable qualifications set by BCA.

Meet minimum paid-up capital (for corporations only)

Class 1 General Builder: not less than $300,000

Class 2 General Builder or Specialist Builder: not less than $25,000

Pay licensing fees


Note: Validity of license is up to 3 years.

Class 1 General Builder: $1,800

Class 2 General Builder: $1,200

Specialist Builder: $1,500

Forms and documents

Download the following for your Builder License application or to change your particulars with BCA.

Form or document


Simplified Guide


A brief introduction to the relevant Act and Regulations.

Login to eBACs if you wish to apply for additional license(s) or vary a license class.

Declaration of Personnel Appointment and Experience

For licensed builders and registered contractors who wish to appoint new or additional personnel.

Section D_Project List

For specialist builders to provide a list of projects undertaken by the TC.

Notification of Termination of Approved Person/ Technical Controller

For builders who wish to update termination of AP or TC.

Change of Company's Particulars

For licensed builders and registered contractors who wish to update address and contact details.

Update of Foreign Employee's Work Pass (Employment Pass/ S-Pass)

For licensed builders and registered contractors who wish to update personnel's renewed pass.

Popular e-Services


The Construction Workforce Registration System (CWRS) is an online portal for CoreTrade and Multi-skilling registration and the renewal of Direct R1 eligibility.

Overseas Testing Management System

OTMS allows you to register the workers for Identity Verification and to check your registration status online.

Lifts and Escalators Application (LEAP) Portal

Lift and escalator owners, contractors and Specialist Professional Engineers (SPEs) can apply for and view applications for Permit to Operate (PTO) here.