There are about 70,000 passenger lifts and 7,000 escalators in Singapore. They need to be maintained at least once a month and to undergo an examination, inspection and testing once a year.
Who is responsible
Lift and escalator safety is a shared responsibility:
- Lift and escalator owners and contractors need to ensure that their lifts and escalators are maintained according to the regulations
- Users need to ensure proper and safe use
Reporting lift malfunctions (public)
Report any lift or escalator malfunctions to the owner (including Town Councils) or their managing agent immediately. The contact number for reporting lift malfunctions can be found at the lift landing area.
If you are trapped in the lift, follow these steps:
- Do not panic
- Press the alarm button and wait for help to arrive
- Do not try to pry open the lift doors
- If there is an emergency number in the lift, call the number to report the lift malfunction
Reporting lift malfunctions (owners and contractors)
Lift and escalator owners and contractors who carried out the most recent servicing work on the lift or escalator must inform BCA as soon as possible, when any of the following incidents occurs, involving:
- Death or injury
- Malfunction of safety critical components